Family Visas

We can help with the visa process for reuniting with partners and family members in Australia.

Partner Visa

The Temporary Partner visa (Subclass 820) lets the de facto partner or spouse of an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen live in Australia temporarily.

Basic requirements

Sponsors must help their partner and children who are granted the visa by providing:

  • accommodation
  • financial assistance, including English language courses, if needed
  • other support such as child care, if needed
Applicants must:

  • be in a genuine relationship with their spouse or de facto partner who is an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen
  • be in Australia when they apply for this visa and when the temporary visa application is decided on. Any family members who apply with the applicant must also be in Australia.
With this visa, applicants can:

Potential pathways
Getting this visa is the first step towards a permanent Partner visa (Subclass 801). To apply for a permanent Partner visa, you must:
Looking to have your partner come to Australia?

Applying for a partner to live with you in Australia can be a complex process. We walk you and your partner through every step of the process to make it a stress-free experience. Contact one of our immigration specialists today to find out more.


Parent Visa

There are several types of parent visas, including the Contributory Parent visa, the Aged Parent visa, and the Contributory Aged Parent visa. However, applicants should be aware that processing times for these visas are typically very long, and costs relatively high.

A good alternative is to apply for the Temporary Sponsored Parent Visa (Subclass 870) (or TSPV).

With the TSPV, a parent of an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen:

  • can visit Australia for up to 3 or 5 years per visa
  • can apply for further visas to visit up to a maximum period in Australia of 10 years
  • cannot work in Australia


Basic requirements

Applicants must:

  • have an approved Parent Sponsor before they can lodge an application for this visa
  • apply online for this visa
  • lodge their visa application within 6 months of the sponsorship approval, unless they have Permission to Apply in Australia
Looking to have family members come to Australia?

We make applying for family members to reunite with you in Australia a clear and easy process. Contact one of our immigration specialists today to find out more.

contact us

+61 2 9212 4008

51 Albion Street,
Surry Hills,
Sydney NSW 2010

Monday to Friday
9am - 5:30pm
(or flexible by appointment)

Abacus Visa Pty Ltd. ACN: 147099303
Abacus Visa & Migration Services Pty Ltd. ABN: 58169966036
© COPYRIGHT 2020  ABACUS VISA / +61 2 9212 4008 / PRIVACY POLICY

DISCLAIMER: No material on this website, including but not limited to documents, articles, general comments, responses and other communications should be interpreted as relevant or accurate legal advice for any individual or specific situation. The information is of a general nature and cannot substitute for professional legal advice. Such advice is only provided by our firm following the acceptance by a client of our written agreement, and the payment of the required fees.